Reach Out Rural Learning Hubs – MPS’s working together to address health workforce need in regional Victoria
Robinvale District Health Services is in partnership with six other Victorian Multi-Purpose Health Services (MPS), and has established “Reach Out Rural Learning Hubs” to form an industry based network of rural health agencies to facilitate health industry training.
The “Reach Out Rural Learning Hubs” will replicate Alpine Institute’s training model (Alpine Health’s RTO) into the communities of regional and rural Victoria associated with;
- Corryong Health,
- Robinvale District Health Services
- Mallee Track Health Service
- Orbost Regional Health
- Timboon Health and District Healthcare Service
- Great Ocean Road Health
The key concepts of the “Reach Out Rural Learning Hubs” will;
- Address the need for health care training in rural areas where TAFE has little or no presence and access to training is disadvantaged by distance, geography and lack of opportunity.
- Establish the place of training directly within the Victorian Multi-Purpose Services (MPS) health sector ensuring the relation between training and potential employment is maximised.
- Address the high workforce demand in rural health care environments by facilitating local training for local people ensuring communities hold the skills through nationally recognised qualifications.
Initially, the Reach Out Rural Learning Hub at Robinvale District Health Services will offer the Certificate III in Individual Support – Ageing, Home & Community – CHC33015 to both staff and local community. The course can be completed in 6 months combining work, on the job training and more formal structured learning. This entry level course is for people who may want to change careers, leave school, mature age or just want a career in health supporting older people at home or in a residential aged care setting.
Robinvale District Health Services will also be assisted to develop their own local Training and Assessor workforce providing career development and progression for staff.
Lisa Robertson (Director of Nursing RDHS) said “this is such a great opportunity for the greater Robinvale district to train and educate here locally, our very own healthcare professionals – so exciting to be creating a workforce strategy that is sustainable for RDHS!
We are incredibly pleased that the MPS Reach out Rural Learning Hubs project is underway. Aligning health service and industry training to produce improved education, employment and health outcomes for regional and rural communities is something we are very passionate about.”
Lisa Robertson (DON RDHS) | 0407796014 | firstname.lastname@example.org